Delegation of Condo Act Forms to the CAO Confirmed!
In our previous blog, we informed our readers that the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services was considering a proposal that would involve delegating several forms under the Condominium Act, 1998 to the Condominium Authority of Ontario (CAO). After studying the proposal and receiving feedback from the public until September 30, 2019, the Ministry has now confirmed the transfer and has introduced the Rebuilding Consumer Confidence Act, 2019.
As of January 1, 2020, 17 forms under the Condominium Act will be delegated to the CAO. Two other forms, namely the Notice of Future Funding of the Reserve Fund and the Summary of Lease or Renewal, are expected to be transferred to the CAO on July 1, 2020. Delegating these forms should allow for easier access and usability, while also transferring the associated administrative costs from the government to the CAO (which is funded by Ontario’s condominium community). This decision comes as part of a wider initiative by the Ministry to improve condominium living and to protect the financial investments of condominium residents across Ontario.
The Ministry of Government and Consumer Services is also expected to undertake public consultations on the following matters in 2020:
- Changing the amount of interest that would be owed to a purchaser who makes deposits and other payments on a purchase into pre-construction condominium projects, under certain circumstances;
- Developing a condominium guide for buyers and requiring developers to provide it at the point of purchase;
- Establishing guidelines governing how condominium corporations can procure goods or services;
- Clarifying how interim occupancy fees are handled by developers;
- Establishing a process whereby condominium corporations could add charges to an owner’s common expenses (condo fees), under certain circumstances;
- Clarifying how contributions are made to reserve funds, the manner in which they can be used and how reserve fund studies can be conducted; and
- Clarifying the processes for mediation or arbitration between condominium corporations and owners.
For a complete list of forms to be delegated to the CAO, please click here.
Stay tuned to Condo Law News to keep up to date on the latest developments in condominium law!